Registered Member
    Thanks

Default scoliosis treatement and cerebral palsy

Hi - I just discovered this forum today. My 14 year old son has mildish cerebral palsy (left hemiparesis). It didn't entirely surprise me when the doctor was alarmed at his most recent spinal x-ray - I know that kids with CP tend to develop this condition. I don't know how much of a curve in terms of degrees, but it was easily seen by me on the x-ray, and I am not a very good x-ray reader. We are returning in April to see this doctor again (a rehab medicine doctor) and the orthopedist. I think they are going to recommend bracing. I have concerns about bracing, and am looking at alternative treatments. I would like to pursue an alternative treatment method for him, but I am concerned about his ability to participate in exercises. He has low muscle tone in his trunk, but high muscle tone in his arms and legs, including a contracture on his left arm that prevents him from straightening it or really bearing his body weight on it. His spine is pulled away from that side.
    Is there a therapy that would work with him?

Thanks for your advice!

- Momster

Similar Threads:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Momster,

Your son's case sounds like it may be a good candidate for the Tornado suit Dr. Mark Morningstar (a forum member) has developed. I'll see if I can get him to come on the forum and answer some of your questions.

Thanks for posting.

Clayton

I'm searching for the scoliosis treatment of the future!

Toll-Free 1-866-627-3009 to schedule time/date for a free phone consult about your case.

Registered Member
    Thanks

Momster,

A TornadoSuit is an activity suit for scoliosis. The reason it is not a brace (rigid or dynamic) is because it has uses and neurological applications that no type of brace can provide. It is designed to be used in conjunction with a neuromuscular reeducation based exercise program like ARC3D or CLEAR. In the initial year of fittings with the TornadoSuit we fit 6 children with CP, 2 of them wheelchair bound. One of the children in the wheelchair stabilized (curve stayed within 5 degrees) and one of the 4 not in a wheelchair still progressed. The remainder of the children saw their curves improve to varying degrees. However, I will stress that those who were not wheelchair bound participated in specific neuromuscular exercises to rehabilitate their posture and spine control.

Given that his extremity strength is intact, despite his reduced torso tone, he should be able to participate in these types of exercises with the TornadoSuit, which will actually help improve his torso strength and stability over time.

If you have any questions, feel free to email me any time.

Sincerely,

Mark Morningstar, DC
    ARC3D Scoliosis TherapyTM

www.ARC3DTherapy.com
    www.nwprc.com
    www.theTornadoSuit.com